Our six-hour Whales-Ho! guided kayak tour gives you an excellent chance to see orca whales in the wild!
Enjoy a scenic drive to San Juan Island’s west side and launch with us into prime whale country! Learn sea kayaking skills with instruction from our fun, competent and experienced guides. Kayaking with orcas is an experience you will never forget! San Juan Kayak Expeditions specializes in putting you there, and we throw in a scrumptious deli lunch to boot!
For a different perspective, we’ll take a short walk on a spectacular coastal trail and, from an elevated viewpoint, enjoy nothing but islands and ocean as far as the eye can see! Diverse wildlife, stunning vistas and spectacular coastline make this an experience to cherish.
Our decades of experience, quality boats and gear and highly trained, professional guides will insure a safe and memorable voyage of adventure! We also supply complimentary dry bags, rain ponchos and ThermaRest seat cushions for your comfort! Reservations necessary.
Please join us for our ever-popular Whales Ho! Full- Day kayak tour!
NO EXPERIENCE IS NECESSARY!
Cost: $110 per person plus sales tax. A 50% deposit is due at time of booking with the balance charged 45 days prior to departure date. If you are registering within 45 days of your trip date, full payment is required. Thank you.
Difficulty: Easy to moderate
Islands Explored: 2-3
Minimum Age: 14 (With limited space for 10-13 year olds in a triple kayak. Call us before booking. 360-378-4436)
Departure: 10:30 AM
Duration/Distance: 6 hrs (kiosk to kiosk); 5 miles. Participants must be in moderate or better physical condition and be able to paddle for sustained periods of time.
Runs daily from April 15 thru Oct 2.
- Orca whales
- Humpback whales
- Dall’s and harbor porpoise
- Stellar and California sea lions
- Harbor seals
- River otters
- Bald eagles
- Peregrine falcon
- Many sea bird species
- Quality sea kayaks (Seascape II’s by NW Kayaks)
- Werner carbon-fiber paddles
- NRS or Extrasport PFD’s
- Snap Dragon Design spray skirts
- ThermaRest seat cushions
- Complimentary dry bags
- Rain ponchos
- Delicious and nutritious picnic lunches from Spring Street Deli
- Services of a friendly, experienced guide
- Transportation to launch site and return
- Thorough and professional instruction at the beach
- One sun hat with wide brim/visor
- Water shoes (Teva -like sandals, Chacos, aqua socks, wetsuit booties, Crocs, old tennis shoes)
- Warm weather tshirts and shorts with a light jacket
- Cool weather clothing: fleece jacket, polypropylene or Capilene tops, rain pants (full day tours only)
- Rain gear: coat with hood or rain poncho. If you don’t have your own, we can supply you with a rain poncho
- One quart or liter bottle full of water per person (we will carry water for refills)
- Snacks to share with group
- Camera and binoculars
Meet at our kiosk in Friday Harbor (275 A St.) at 10:15 AM
Chart orientation/Depart 10:30 AM
Enjoy scenic shuttle ride to Smallpox Bay on island’s west side
Instruction on beach
Launch kayaks into designated Whale Sanctuary
Paddle to Limekiln Lighthouse
Land at Deadman’s Bay for lunch and short hike
Paddle back to Smallpox Bay
Enjoy scenic shuttle ride back to kiosk
Arrive at kiosk at 4:30 PM
We are proud to serve mondo, mouth-watering smoked turkey sandwiches from Spring Street Deli in Friday Harbor! Also included are chips, slices of Fuji apple or Bosc pear and a home-made cookie, and you’ll be refueled and ready to paddle and hike!
The deli also has vegan, veggie, gluten and dairy-free options. Just let us know!
- We have been leading sea kayak tours since 1980! Our knowledge of tides, winds and whales is unmatched!
- We use only quality, state-of-the-art, fiberglass sea kayaks and gear! No wet, slow and uncomfortable plastic boats or heavy, plastic paddles are used on our tours!
- ThermaRest seat cushions? Check!
- Affordable price and a scrumptious lunch is included!
- Fun , friendly, knowledgeable and professional guides
With notice 7 days or more prior to trip date a full refund minus a $25 cancellation fee. With less than 7 days before departure entire payment is retained.
Route Map & Photos
Click to Enlarge