We’ve got a serene, remote day paddle and spectacular hike for those of you who are fit, active in the outdoors, adventurous and want to explore further than our half-day trip allows!
No couch potatoes allowed! Our Griffin Bay Full Day tour puts in some solid paddling, and that allows us to get to some of the most spectacular areas in the islands!
With only a short drive to Griffin Bay, we don’t waste time on the road! This trip offers a fantastic day of paddling, hiking and wildlife viewing with no one else around! We are a small, local company that has been sea kayaking here for 38 years, and it shows in our knowledge of the “secret places” to go!
Departing at 8:30 AM daily from our Friday Harbor kiosk, we spend a day exploring the secret coves and beaches and paddling the protected waters of Griffin Bay and American Camp National Park. Hidden lagoons, deep forest and plenty of wildlife highlight this one day adventure! The bay and its’ picturesque beaches abound with stellar sea lions, harbor seals, bald eagles, Dall’s and Harbor porpoise, river otters and migratory birds such as scoters, loons, harlequin ducks and mergansers. Listen for the chatter of belted kingfishers, and the prehistoric honk of the great blue heron.
At the south end of Griffin Bay, we will go ashore at Third Lagoon for a mile hike through deep rain forest and open prairie to Cattle Point Lighthouse! Here we will dangle our legs over the edge of the dune and enjoy a scrumptious lunch from Spring Street Deli with mountains and ocean as far as the eye can see! Keep an eye out for porpoise, fox, eagles, hawks and, on occasion, orca whales. The views of Mt. Baker, Cattle Pass, the Strait of Juan de Fuca and the Olympic Mountains make for photo opportunities you won’t want to miss! Your experienced, fun and friendly guide will make your trip safe, educational and memorable! These trips run mid-April through September and fill up fast so reserve early! Reservations required!
NO EXPERIENCE IS NECESSARY!
Cost: $110 per person plus sales tax. A 50% deposit is due at time of booking with the balance charged 45 days prior to departure date. If you are registering within 45 days of your trip date, full payment is required. Thank you.
Difficulty: Moderate to hard
Islands Explored: 5
Minimum Age: 14 (With limited space for 10-13 year olds in a triple kayak. Call us before booking. 360-378-4436)
Departure: 8:30 AM.
Duration/Distance: 6-7 hours (kiosk to return). 9 miles paddling/3 mile hike. Participants must be in good to excellent physical condition, experience in the outdoors and ready for a challenge.
Runs daily from April 15 thru Oct 2.
- Stellar and California sea lions
- Harbor seals
- Dall’s and harbor porpoise
- River otters
- Bald eagles
- And many other migratory and local bird species
- Quality sea kayaks (Seascape II’s by NW Kayaks)
- Werner carbon-fiber paddles
- NRS and Extrasport PFD’s
- Snap Dragon Design spray skirts
- ThermaRest seat cushions
- Complimentary dry bags
- Rain ponchos
- Delicious and nutritious picnic lunches from Spring Street Deli
- Services of a friendly, experienced guide
- Transportation to launch site and return
- Thorough and professional instruction at the beach
- Rain coat (we have rain ponchos, if you need one)
- Water shoes if you’ve got them ie. sandals w/ heal strap, Tevas, Chacos, Crocs, etc. or wet suit booties, aqua socks or old tennis shoes
- 1 liter of water per person
- Layered clothing (Capilene, polypropylene, fleece, etc.)
- Tennis shoes for hiking
- Day pack or fanny pack for hiking
- Shade hat
- Lip salve
- Snacks to share with the group
- Meet at our Sea Kayak Center kiosk (275 “A” Street) in Friday Harbor at 8:15 AM
- 8:30 AM shuttle one mile to Jackson Beach launch site
- Thorough instruction on beach
- Launch for points south
- Explore Dinner Island, Griffin Bay coves, American Camp National Park
- Beach stop for hike to Cattle Point Lighthouse and lunch at Third Lagoon
- Return to Jackson Beach
- Shuttle return to kiosk at 2:30-3:30 PM
We are proud to serve mondo, mouth-watering smoked turkey sandwiches from Spring Street Deli! Also included are chips, slices of Fuji apple or Bosc pear and a home-made cookie, and you’ll be refueled and ready to paddle and hike!
The deli also has vegan, veggie, gluten and dairy-free options. Just let us know!
- We use only quality, state-of-the-art, fiberglass sea kayaks and gear! No wet, slow and uncomfortable plastic boats or heavy, plastic paddles are used on our tours!
- We give you an extra hour on the water – just a five minute ride to our beach! We care about our carbon footprint!
- Complimentary, scrumptious lunch from Spring Street Deli!
- Paddle a tranquil bay and hike to an amazing viewpoint!
- ThermaRest seat cushions? Check!
- Affordable price!
- Fun, friendly, knowledgeable and experienced guides!
- Complimentary storage for extra baggage or gear!
With notice 7 days or more prior to trip date a full refund minus a $25 cancellation fee. With less than 7 days before departure entire payment is retained.
Route Map & Photos
Click to Enlarge