Departing twice daily, our spectacular, guided 3-hour tour explores the hidden coves and tranquil waters of protected Griffin Bay!
Although just one mile south of Friday Harbor, Griffin Bay is a world away from it all! This trip offers peace and quiet and superb views of glacier-covered Mt. Baker and the Olympic Mountain range. It is an ideal trip for families and anyone wanting to experience sea kayaking in a uniquely beautiful environment.
We will explore picturesque Dinner Island and it’s chubby resident harbor seal colony, then turn south toward quiet coves. You may see bald eagles, Dall’s or Harbor porpoise, river otters, mink and oodles of migratory sea birds such as scoters, harlequin ducks, loons and mergansers along with our local herons, cormorants, gulls and kingfishers! This trip offers peace and quiet and a chance to get away from the crowds.
Your professional and friendly guides and quality, state-of-the-art fiberglass sea kayaks and gear will insure a safe, fun and educational journey of adventure! These trips fill up fast so sign up early! Reservations are recommended!
NO EXPERIENCE IS NECESSARY!
Cost: $75 per person plus sales tax. A 50% deposit is due at time of booking with the balance charged 45 days prior to departure date. If you are registering within 45 days of your trip date, full payment is required. Thank you.
Difficulty: Easy to moderate
Islands Explored: 3
Minimum Age: 12 (with limited space for 8-12 year olds in a triple kayak. Call us before booking. 360-378-4436)
Departure: 8:30 AM; 1 PM; Sunset tour
Duration/Distance: 3 hours; 3-4 miles. Participants must be in moderate or better physical condition.
Runs daily from April 15 thru Oct 2.
- Harbor seals
- Dall’s and harbor porpoise
- River otters
- Bald eagles
- And many other migratory and local bird species
- Quality sea kayaks (Seascape II’s by NW Kayaks)
- Werner carbon-fiber paddles
- NRS PFD’s
- Snap Dragon Design spray skirts
- ThermaRest seat cushions
- Complimentary dry bags
- Rain ponchos
- Services of professional, fun and friendly guide
- Detailed instruction at the beach
- One sun hat with wide brim/visor
- Water shoes (Teva -like sandals, Chacos, aqua socks, wetsuit booties, Crocs, old tennis shoes)
- Warm weather tshirts and shorts with a light jacket
- Cool weather clothing: fleece jacket, polypropylene or Capilene tops, rain pants (full day tours only)
- Rain gear: coat with hood or rain poncho. If you don’t have your own, we can supply you with a rain poncho
- One quart or liter bottle full of water per person (we will carry water for refills)
- Snacks to share with group
- Camera and binoculars
- Meet at our kiosk in Friday Harbor (275 A St.) 15 minutes before tour time
- Chart orientation
- Enjoy short shuttle ride to Griffin Bay launch site
- Instruction on beach
- Launch kayaks in Griffin Bay
- Visit Dinner Island, Mulno Cove, Low Pt.
- Return to beach
- Shuttle back to kiosk
- We use only quality, state-of-the-art, fiberglass sea kayaks and gear! No slow, wet and uncomfortable plastic boats or heavy plastic paddles are used on our tours!
- It is just a five minute ride to our launch site!
- Our carbon footprint is the best in the business!
- ThermaRest seat cushions? Check!
- Affordable price!
- Fun, friendly, knowledgeable and experienced guides!
- Owners Sally or Tim greet every and assist every guest upon arrival at our kiosk!
- Complimentary storage for luggage, bicycles and extra stuff!
With notice 7 days or more prior to trip date a full refund minus a $25 cancellation fee. With less than 7 days before departure entire payment is retained.
Route Map & Photos
Click to Enlarge